I did a Live Stream for my first time and make Lumpia (Filipino egg roll). So I did it and I think I did okay. I was a bit nervous but I got the hang of it.
Another great Filipino dish is skinless Longganisa. Great for breakfast. Check it out.
- 1-2 package Lumpia wrapper (Chinese or Vietnamese spring roll wrappers). Any store-bought spring roll wrappers will work as well.
- 1-2 cup(s) of cooking oil (for frying)
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1/2 lb ground chicken
- 1 medium-sized onion finely chopped or pureed
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp ginger minced
- 3-5 spring onion stalk finely chopped
- 1 cup carrots finely chopped
- 2-3 tbsp shoyu (soy sauce)
- 1 tbsp ground pepper
- 1-2 tbsp sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg
- 2-3 tsp water
- In a mixing bowl, add 1/2 LB ground pork and 1/2 LB ground chicken.
- Add the rest of the filling ingredients and mix well. Use hand or stand mixer if available. cover and refrigerate the mixture to set aside.
- Meanwhile, separate the lumpia wrappers and place them under a damp cloth to prevent it from drying out. Continue to separate wrappers until the entire package becomes empty.
- To make the egg wash, mix 1 large egg and 2-3 TSP of water.
- To make the lumpia, place a wrapper vertically on a flat surface. Then scoop 1-2 TBSP of the mixture put it over the lumpia wrapper about 1/4″ of the edge closest to you.
- Lift the bottom edge of the wrapper and roll it up over the filling. Continue to roll until 2″ of the wrapper remains.
- Dip the brush (or 2 clean fingers) into the egg wash. Brush it over the remaining 2″ of the wrapper. Roll completely to seal. Repeat the process until the entire mixture is consumed.
- Freeze some for up to 1 month for future use.
- To cook, heat 1-2 CUP(S) of cooking oil in a deep frying pan over medium heat.
- Dip the end of a wooden ladle in the oil. When bubbles form around it gently add the lumpia one at a time.
- Cook for 2 minutes or until the side becomes brown. Flip it over and cook the other side for another 2 minutes or until all sides are browned. Place the cooked Lumpia Shanghai on a paper towel to soak excess oil.
- Serve warm with rice and your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy!